4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 800g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 450g bag of pasta shells (whatever shape the kids like!)
225g of ricotta cheese
170g tin of tuna (try to get tuna in olive oil or water – brine is quite salty)
25g grated parmesan cheese
Some basil (dried or fresh)
Pinch of Salt
- Melt the butter in a medium size pot on medium heat and add the can of tomatoes (including the juice). Simmer gently, partially covered, for about 30 mins.
- While the sauce is cooking, heat a large pot of salted water until it is boiling. Add your pasta and continue to boil until it is cooked through, but not soggy. This is usually about 2 mins, but check the package of your pasta and taste as you go. Drain the pasta and set it aside.
- Pour off excess oil from the tuna can, and stir it into the tomato sauces.
- Add the ricotta cheese and a pinch of salt (to taste)
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked pasta with the sauce and a bit of basil.
- Pour the mix into a casserole dish (no lid) and top with grated parmesan
- Place the dish under the grill for a couple of minutes until the cheese is bubbly and golden
Carambola Tip! - Salad is a healthy side with this meal
Carambola Tip! - Portion up leftovers in freezer bags and date them. Then you have a handy dinner or snack in the freezer for the next busy day!