Here are a couple of tips gathered from the parents working in Carambola Kidz:
- Say no in the supermarket - if no extra treats are in the house, then there is no temptation! Making a list is a good idea if you need to bring the kidz shopping with you; allowing them to put ONE treat on the list and then sticking to it can help them to feel involved
- Be firm but fair - always stay calm
- Be consistent - decide how many treats are allowed per week and stick with it
- Use positive language - "have a banana instead" rather than "you can't have chocolate". Focus on the behaviour you want, rather than what you don't want them to do
- "But I'm hungry!" - every parent has heard this! If they are actually hungry between meals, offer something healthy like fruit, popcorn or a yoghurt. Chances are they are not really hungry, just looking for something sweet!
Got any tips you would like to share with our readers? Let us know in the comments below!